Artist Opportunity Children’s Ward, Forth Valley Royal Hospital, Larbert
Artlink Central is inviting artists to tender for the following arts opportunity.
We are delighted to offer an opportunity to an artist who is interested in digital, new media and film for a 20 day residency in Forth Valley Royal Hospital’s Children Ward.
Artlink Central has successfully been delivering participatory arts projects in the Children Ward with NHS Forth Valley for a number of years, and having delivered a range of weekly cross artform projects, we now have the opportunity to work with the staff and current technology in the ward to explore how we can create accessible arts projects which are available at any time.
The Children’s Ward is a very busy and flexible environment, which treats a range of patients from age 0 -16. Patients include those attending day surgery, staying in for a few days or longer, and those re-attending over a period of months or years. You never know from one day to the next what to expect in the ward.
The purpose of this residency is to research, explore and develop participatory arts projects using interactive digital creative tools which would allow young people to engage in creative activities without an artist being present.
· Exploring how you can connect children through technology, who due to medical or infection reasons cannot leave their rooms. Increasing access to social opportunities, and reducing boredom;
· Explore and create digital projects for and with participants that can be accessed by young people when they are well enough, or when they are back in the ward as returning patients;
· Explore and create film, animation and gaming projects made by participants within the Children’s Ward, working within the various constraints of the hospital;
· Create tools that can be used by Play Leaders, Teaching and other staff in the ward with patients when artists are not available;
· Explore how technology can be used across the age range of patients who visit the children wards including parents and visitors;
· Explore what technology is available in the Children’s Ward and possible ways this can be utilised. Make proposals for technology that the ward may wish to invest in;
· Work with traditional and digital arts in creating new artistic outputs.
· Working within the Health and Safety and Infection Control parameters of the Children’s Ward;
· Working empathetically with staff who are focusing on the ward’s primary function of treating and caring for very ill children and young people;
· Ensuring that a close working relationship is formed with designated staff and a healthy and positive relationship is maintained with all staff. Recognising individual roles and functions.
The artist’s fee is £4000 inclusive of travel and expenses, and the budget for materials is £2000. A small additional amount is available for time to attend meetings and additional preparation or research that is required.
The deadline for this application is Tuesday 18th February at 5pm.
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 25th February
Please submit CV and proposal of projects ideas to email@example.com
For further information, please contact Catherine Middleton Findlay, Artistic Programmer on 01786 450 971 or Catherine@artlinkcentral.org
Please note that the residency is on offer during March 2014, and artists should be available for 20 days across this month including weekends and some evenings.
Artlink Central is supported by NHS Forth Valley.